FILEY BRIGG ANGLING SOCIETY LIMITED
- 1. Name
The name of the Organisation shall be the Filey Brigg Angling Society Limited (hereinafter called “the Club”), a Company Limited by Guarantee, Company Number [***********] (“the Limited Company”).
- 2. Objects
a) To promote and encourage the sport of Angling and to provide opportunities for social contact, friendship and mutual support.
b) To develop and maintain an interest in the sport amongst young people by the provision of educational, recreational and leisure opportunities
c) To arrange, promote and facilitate closed and open competitions for members [and non-members]
d) To promote the rules and good practice of angling from boat and shore
e) To encourage the health, well being and personal development of members by the promotion of competition, team spirit, social inclusion and intergenerational activity through the sport of Angling.
- 3. Powers
In furtherance of the object the Club may:
a) Organise and participate in competitions, tournaments and other social events.
b) Co-operate with other angling clubs, voluntary organizations, community groups, statutory bodies and others to achieve the objects.
c) Do all such other legal things as shall further the objects of the Club.
- 4. Membership
a) Membership of the Club shall be open to any person with an interest in furthering the objects of the Club on payment of a regular subscription to be determined by the Committee annually at the Annual General Meeting.
b) Categories of Membership
- Temporary open
c) The Secretary will keep a record of the Club’s members.
d) The Committee shall have the right for good or sufficient reason to terminate the membership of any individual or individuals who are deemed to be acting in a way which is considered detrimental to the Club. In the event, the individual or individuals concerned shall have the right to be heard by the said Committee before a final decision is made.
- 5. Officers of the Limited Company
a) The Officers of the Club shall be
- i. President
- ii. Chair
- iii. Secretary
- iv. Treasurer
b) The Officers of the Club shall be elected by the Committee at the first Annual General Meeting following incorporation, or at any Special Meeting of the members, and shall serve for a period of three years.
c) The Officers of the Club may stand for re-election at the end of their term of office;
d) The Officers of the Club shall be registered at Companies House as Directors of the Limited Company
- 6. The Committee
a) The Committee shall consist of a minimum of 8 members elected from the membership of the Club at the Annual General Meeting.
b) The Committee shall appoint one member to serve as a Safety Officer each year.
c) Members of the Committee should be aged 16 years or over.
d) Should any member of the Committee fail to attend four consecutive meetings without good sufficient reason they will be deemed to have resigned from the Committee.
- 7. Committee Procedures
a) The Committee shall meet at 19.30 on the first Friday of every month at the Club’s Headquarters from time to time.
b) The Committee shall meet not less than six times each year, including the Annual General Meeting.
c) A Special meeting of the Committee may be called at any time, provided that at least seven days notice has been given to members.
d) All matters arising at any meeting shall be decided by a simple majority vote. No member shall exercise more than one vote but in case of an equality of votes, the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote.
e) The Committee may appoint such sub-committees as shall be deemed necessary and shall determine their duration, composition, powers and terms of reference. Any sub-committee so appointed must always report back to the full Committee as soon as possible.
f) The Committee and all sub-committees shall keep minutes of all and proceedings and shall ensure the safekeeping of all the Club’s documents and records.
g) The Committee may make rules to govern its activities and proceedings and those of any sub-committees provided that such rules are not inconsistent with the provisions of this constitution.
h) The Quorum at Committee Meetings shall be six members.
- 8. Annual General Meeting
a) The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held on the last Friday of November each year, or at such other time (not being more than 15 months after the preceding Annual General Meeting) as the Committee shall from time to time determine.
b) At the Annual Meeting the business shall include:
i) Consideration of the annual accounts
ii) Consideration of a report on the Club’s activities during the preceding year
iii) Election of Officers for a three year term and Committee members for the following year
iv) Review of Annual Subscription
v) Discussion of any other matter(s) of which at least 21 days prior written notice has been given to all members.
c) The Secretary shall give at least 14 days written notice of the Annual General Meeting to all members. Such notice shall include an agenda of the matters to be discussed.
d) All matters arising at an Annual General Meeting shall be decided by a simple vote. No member shall exercise more than one vote but in the case of an equality of votes, the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote.
e) The Quorum at the Annual General Meeting shall be 12 members.
- 9. Special Meetings of Members
a) A Special Meeting of the Club may be called on 14 days written notice at the request of either (i) the Committee, or (ii) at least 10 members
b) The Notice shall specify the time and place of the meeting and the nature of the business to be transacted
c) All matters arising at a Special Meeting shall be decided by a simple vote. No member shall exercise more than one vote but in the case of an equality of votes, the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote.
d) The Quorum at a Special Meeting shall be 10 members
a) All funds raised from whatever source must only be used to further the objects of the Club.
b) A bank account shall be opened in the name of the Club and all monies raised must be paid into this account. There shall be three signatories to the bank account and all cheques must be signed by not less than two of the three authorised signatories.
c) The Treasurer shall keep a record of all financial transactions and shall present regular reports to the Committee. The Treasurer shall present the annual accounts at the Annual General Meeting of the Club.
d) Once at least in every year, the accounts shall be independently examined by a suitably qualified person as required by statue.
e) No member shall receive payment from the Club’s funds other than for reasonable, out of pocket expenses incurred whilst carrying out the business of the Club. Appropriate vouchers and receipts must be produced for any such expenses claimed.
f) The Honorariums to be paid for both the Treasurer and Secretary shall be agreed at the Annual General Meeting each year.
11. Amendments to the Constitution
a) This constitution may be amended at an Annual General Meeting or a Special Meeting called for this specific purpose by a resolution passed by a two thirds majority of members present and voting.
b) No resolution may be passed which would prevent the Club from pursuing strictly charitable purposes.
a) The Club may be dissolved at any time by a resolution passed by a two thirds majority of members present and voting at a special meeting called for the purpose.
b) In the event of dissolution the Committee shall be the body responsible for the orderly winding up of the Clubs’ affairs.
c) After the satisfaction of all debts and liabilities, the Committee shall transfer any remaining funds and assets to such other club or clubs having objects similar to some or all of the objects of the Club
13. Articles of Association
a) In the event of any conflict between the Constitution of the Club and the Articles of Association of the Limited Company, the rules set out in the Constitution shall apply.
b) Where the Constitution of the Club is silent on any matter the Articles of Association of the Limited Company shall apply.
FILEY BRIGG ANGLING SOCIETY
RISK ASSESSMENT AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS, INCLUDING INSURANCE
The Filey Brigg Angling Society Limited (“the Club”) seeks to promote the sport of Angling from both boat and shore, including by holding competitions for its members and non-members.
Angling, whether from boat or shore, can be dangerous. The Club has therefore drawn up a list of safety requirements for all full and temporary open members which must be adhered to at all times.
Exclusion of Liability
Neither the Club nor its Officers or Committee Members shall be liable for any damage to property, loss, death or injury caused to any full and temporary open members arising from their participation in any competitions held by the Club.
It is a recommendation that all full and temporary open members shall insure themselves against damage, loss, death or injury arising from the sport of Angling including their participation in any competitions held by the Club.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of the hazards for full and temporary open members when Angling from boat or shore in Filey bay and surrounding areas:-
- Launching from public areas
- Sudden change in weather (eg. fog) and/or sea conditions
- Falling or being washed overboard
- Sea sickness
- Cold and hypothermia
- Injury caused by fish hooks, gaffes, knives and other sharp objects
- Engine failure
- Falling off or down a cliff face
- Falling rocks and debris if fishing at the foot of a cliff
- Slipping on rocks
- Getting cut off by the tide
- Being washed off the shore by heavy waves
- Sudden change in weather conditions
- Cold and hypothermia
- Injury caused by fish hooks, gaffes, knives and other sharp objects
These hazards can cause injury, temporary or permanent disablement or even death! It is therefore a condition of membership of the Club that all members and temporary open members fully comply with the Safety Requirements set out below:-
The Club encourages all members to undergo First Aid training.
All members under 16 should be accompanied by an adult.
In addition, all members MUST:-
- Be aware of the state of the tide and anticipated weather and sea conditions for the following 24 hours before participating in any competitions;
- Notify a family member or friend where they intend to fish and at what time they intend to return;
- Check the condition of their fishing gear before participating in any competition
- Take care to avoid injury to others when casting whether from boat or shore
- Use a suitable shock leader, 10lb line strength to 1oz of lead weight
- Use suitable light / headlight if fishing when dark
- Take with them to all competitions:-
- Appropriate warm / waterproof clothing, headwear and footwear
- Waterproof back-pack containing:-
- Fully charged mobile phone
- Torch and spare batteries
- First aid kit
- Hot or cold drink and chocolate or biscuits
- The owner or person responsible for the boat must be fully licensed and insured
- The owner or person responsible for the boat must carry the following safety equipment:-
- One lifejacket with whistle for each person on board
- VHF Radio (or fully charged mobile telephone in waterproof cover)
- Anchor connected with sufficient length of anchor cable 3 x depth of water
- Spare anchor, propeller and rope / cable
- Spare fuel
- Tow rope – minimum length
- Oars or auxiliary engine
- Toolkit including WD40, spark plug, split pin for propeller, plyers, etc)
- First Aid box including sea-sickness tablets
- Orange smoke flare
- Mini Flares if fishing at night (12 pack)
- Powerful torch and spare batteries
From Cliff Top
- Be aware of cliff conditions
- Do not stand too close to the edge
- Use safety harness attached to suitable fixture
- Stand well back from the edge when casting
- Always fish from a flat platform and never on a sloping bank
- Be aware of others nearby when casting
- Take care when climbing cliffs
- Be aware of cliff conditions
- Do not stand immediately beneath cliff
- Wear safety helmet if fishing at foot of cliff
- Watch out for / be aware of rogue waves
- Wear suitable footwear if walking across rocks
- Take care when walking over rocks